Thursday, October 16, 2008

Your Jar is Open

Martha Whites, Mary depictions, and mother mysteries. The first three chapters of The Secret Life of Bees had a lot going on. What are your initial thoughts? Please share!

You know how this works. We'll throw a topic on the table, but the rest is up to you. In addition to sharing your initial thoughts, "your jar is open," where are you flying away to?

After this weekend's discussion, meet us back her next Friday, we'll be discussing chapters 4 & 5.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

I got the book on Wednesday... I'm finishing the 4th book in the Twilight series.... should be done over the weekend... and then I'll start Bee's... be back soon!

Cheryl Houston said...

i want to check the book out again from the library this weekend to refresh.

From what I can remember from the beginning of the story, I felt so sorry for... is it Lily? To lose your mother and be with an abusive father. too sad. Okay. I'll get the book again so I can refresh and have some better input later.

My jar is open and I'm flying around my house. I love being at home. This house feels right to me.

Peggy said...

I had know idea of what the book was about... just knew that people were talking about it as a must read for the summer... then about a month ago, heard it was turned into a movie.

I'm enjoying the book, it's very interesting ... although I don't mind the language, a neighbor recommended that my 13 yo dd would enjoy the book too... not to be melo-dramatic... but I think it will disturb her a bit... she's not been around 'child abuse' situations or the "n" word... but then on the other hand... it might wake her up to how the world used to treat all kinds of people.

It will be interesting to see what happens next with Lily..

Peggy said...

Well, I finished the book over the weekend. Thought it was great! Can't wait to go see the movie! Handed the book on to me dear daughter! Anybody out there?