Monday, September 15, 2008

Final Thoughts on The Last Lecture

Hello everyone! Better late than never on this post. Julie has just been slacking with her duties, and Melanie's out of power for a few days thanks to Hurricane Ike!

Here are a few prompts that we'd love to get discussions started on:

~ WORDING: In much the same way as Randy's doctor answered his question of "How long before I die?" with "Three to six months of good health" and as Disney workers respond to the question "What time does the park close?" with "The park is open until 8." what experiences have you had ... which place you on either side of the question negatively or answer positively ... and how did that positive answer impact the individual questioning.

~ FUN TROUBLE: Has anyone out there either been in "Uncle Randy's" position or in Chris and Laura's position ... how'd that relationship impact you?

~ BRICK WALLS: "Brick walls are there for a reason. They give us a chance to show how badly we want something." Comments? Reactions? Thoughts?

~ DREAMS: Any parents ... what dreams do you have for your children? Future parents - can you dream for your future children? Dreams for friends? Dreams for family?

~ FINAL THOUGHTS; And the second head fake ....




Please stay tuned for our next book. We hope to have that finalized by Octoer 1st.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

I recommend checking out the Last Lecture if you do a google search on You Tube... I did it right after I finished the book... that sort of gave me closure to how Randy actually gave the Last Lecture.

I think this guy was amazing. He looks like he had lots of fun in a dorky way, you had to really understand him to understand some of his scientific jokes... computer geek who has fun working until 10pm!

I think his wording, actions, dreams and head fakes are great... I wish I could have that half full thinking ALL the time!!!

I can't imagine what I'd do if I knew I had 3-6 months to live, or that my husband or children were diagnosed the same way ... I think being able to leave the excitement and joy he had, and it being video taped is a wonderful gift to leave his children.... what technology has brought to this world.

With all that can bring us down in this world (natural disasters, drugs, the media, careless people) I liked reading a feel good book, even though I sucked my tears in... how can I follow his words and leave this world a better place?

Cheryl Houston said...

Sorry, I'm so late here. What a great legacy for Randy to leave behind for his three kids.

There is one thing for sure... we're all going to die. Can't remember who said it but you can either get busy living, or get busy dying but you're surely going to die.

One story that had me laughing was the story of how Randy and Jai left there wedding reception in a balloon and then the pilot had to negotiate a tricky landing.

There were many times throughout the book where I was trying not to cry... especially as I was reading on my lunch hour.

I know Randy was only trying to leave something for his kids but wow! how he has touched me and the world.

I always have in my mind- I am a tigger. It's just stuff. How bad do I want it? You're never too young to dream. And finally, I have all I need.